Whenever I find an especially good deal on something - as small as free kindling or 69 cent grapes or as large as hundreds off a new Mac - I tell my friends! I email them or call them, I let them know in conversation the good deals I found, and highly recommend that they hurry! "Before they're all gone." "Before it's too late!"
Several years ago I realized that the good news of a sale or a new product is often easier to tell about than the good news - the GREATER news - of Eternal, Happy, Peaceful Life in Jesus. I don't know why this is. Fear of rejection? I ultimately concluded that it's not about me, but about Jesus Christ. It isn't rejection of me, it's rejection of Him. It's not embracing me, either -- it's the wonderful embracing of Him who came to save! Jesus told us to fish.
The word Gospel - translated from the Greek euangélion - means GOOD NEWS. How can we share the Good News of Jesus and His saving grace? It is the responsibility of every person who is called by His Name - Christian - to share in His commission with those with whom we are in contact. Every Christian is a missionary every place they go. God is using you right here, right now, to bring people to Him.
1. Tell those whom you visit that the end of all things is at hand.
"The Lord Jesus Christ will open the door of their hearts and will make upon their minds lasting impressions." We are in partnership with the Holy Spirit - co-laborers. It is not our job to convince - that is God's job - but it is our job to find the people the Lord has prepared. He told us to fish - and look for the ones whom the Lord puts in our path.
2. Tell them how you found Jesus
Practice telling your testimony in two minutes!
3. Tell them how blessed you have been since you gained an experience in His service.
If you haven't been in His service, you can't tell them of your experience! He told you to fish! Cast your net - He will fill it.
4. Tell them what blessing comes to you as you sit at the feet of Jesus and learn precious lessons from His word.
5. Tell them of the gladness and joy that there is in the Christian life. Your warm, fervent words will convince them that you have found he pearl of great price. Let your cheerful, encouraging words show that you have certainly found the higher way. This is genuine missionary work, and as it is done, man will awake as from a dream.
6. Know Jesus more and more. Don't rely on the residual of what you've heard in the past. Fortify your life with study of Jesus Christ in His Word.
Is Jesus Who He says He is? Bible scholars tell us that nearly 300 references to 61 specific prophecies of the Messiah were fulfilled by Jesus Christ. The odds against one person fulfilling that many prophecies would be beyond all mathematical possibility. It could never happen, no matter how much time was allotted. One mathematician’s estimate of those impossible odds is “one chance in a trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion.”
Lee Strobel, The Case for Faith (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2000), 262.
We need more sunshiny Christians. Go! Fish!
Start standing on the promises instead of sitting on the premises! ~ David Asscherick