Complete Health Improvement Program,
originally known as Cardiac Health Improvement Project
For more on living optimally, check our our web pages on great health (see the menu to the right)
The Jumpstart Diet, developed by Hans Diehl, DrHSc, MPH and Aileen Ludington, MD, is one of the first tools in CHIP's offense against poor health and sub-optimal lifestyle. According to the JUMPSTART booklet (available in its entirety at the official CHIP website):
These excerpts are in no way to replace the JUMPSTART booklet, but will give the earnest health student a headstart in implementing a healthier lifestyle prior to beginning the CHIP program. Emphasis is placed on these things: increasing amounts of exercise on a daily, consistent basis will give greater assurance of success to the student in the CHIP program; water is very, very important, and should be consumed in the purest available form, around 64 ounces (8-8 ounce glasses) daily; eating a heart-healthy breakfast is essential; making the evening meal the lightest of the day is important.
If you suspect food allergies, do NOT use any milk, yogurt, wheat or corn during the 7 days. Note whether the allergies return when you resume various foods.
DIABETICS - If you are on insulin or diabetic pills, stay in daily contact with your physician to monitor and reduce your medication dosage. Insulin often has to be reduced by 2-3 units a day.
HYPERTENSION - If on medication, have your physician monitor and adjust your drug dosage as needed.
SMOKERS - Since the 7-Day Cleansing Diet reduces the cravings for tobacco, this could be your best time to break with the smoking habit.
PREGNANT AND NURSING WOMEN - Add an extra cup of non-dairy milk to each meal if desired
Expect some degree of withdrawal for two to five days as a result of food and/or caffeine/nicotine addictions. Symptoms may include headache, nausea, fatigue, depression, generallized aching, excessive gas, and diarrhea. Headaches will be worse if addicted to caffeine and nicotine. Hang in there!
TIPS - drink two glasses of water upon arising, add lemon if desired.
- Use the SHOWER - alternate hot (2 minutes) and cold (15 seconds for very cold water). Repeat 2-3 times.
- Walk briskly outdoors 15+ minutes
- Eat a good breakfast
- Soak feet and legs in hot water 10-15 minutes, then rinse with hot water. Apply cold ice packs or cold cloth to head
- If diarrhea occurs, it usually settles down in a few days. Take 2-3 charcoal tablets or capsules between meals until the situation normalizes
The 7-Day Cleansing JUMP START Diet
Fresh Fruit and Whole Grains
- Choice of : Brown Rice, 7-Grain Cereal, Rolled Oats
- Cooked without salt, moistened with water or non-dairy (soy) milk
- Fresh, Whole fruit of all kinds
- Frozen fruit without sugar
- Unsweetened canned pineapple
Introduce Vegetables and Bread
- Any cooked whole-grain cereal or muesli
- Whole fresh fruit, 1 or 2 kinds
- Two slices whole grain bread and mashed banana
- Salad plate (mixed greens and raw vegetables). Use fat-free, low-sodium dressing or lemon juice.
- Green lima beans or peas
- Baked potato – top with chives, salsa (or Lentil soup after day 3)
- Fresh vegetable stew
- Unsalted rye crisp crackers or one piece toasted whole grain bread
- (May substitute a fruit plate if desired)
See Day 3
- See Day 3
- Two slices whole grain bread
- Choice of large lentil stew, split pea stew, or fresh vegetable soup
- 2-3 slices whole grain bread
- Mash ¼ avocado with a little lemon juice and use as spread in place of butter
- Tomato salad with sliced cucumbers